How many of you out there are honestly cooking with fresh fennel? Well, if you are kudos to you. I like you already! If you are not you are missing out on something amazing and delicious. This recipe is a perfect way to start on your journey of cooking with fennel. Think of it as mac n’ cheese meets a good for you vegetable all rolled up into one fantastic casserole dish.
How is fennel good for you? I’m so glad you asked! This amazing vegetable actually has antimicrobial properties that fight bad breath! Always a great benefit in my book. It’s also very well know to aid in many digestion problems such as bloating, heartburn, and gas to name a few. Fennel is packed full of fiber, and vitamin C, which help out our bodies in weight loss, and just all over feel good goodness.
Have an adventure today, and try something new. We are in the holiday season after all and Baked Creamy Fennel makes a perfect side dish to any spectacular main course. Your friends and family will say Ohh la la, and they will also help themselves to seconds.
Serves 6-8 as a side dish
- 2 fresh fennel bulbs, cut into thin strips
- save 2 T of the fennel fronds
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 t fennel seeds
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 T lemon zest
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heal oil in saute pan on medium heat and then add sliced fennel. Season with salt and pepper saute for a few minutes and then add garlic and fennel seeds, and saute for an additional minute.
- Add heavy cream, lemon zest, and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Pour mixture into baking dish, top with remaining parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and a little more lemon zest.
- Bake uncovered in oven for 15-20 minutes, until bubbly and browned. Sprinkle with fennel fronds.
Enjoy as a side dish. My personal favorite meals to serve this with are salmon, or any type of fish dish, and ham.