Pumpkin is found in everything this time of year. I for one am very happy about this. The flavor of pumpkin is so versatile. It can be sweet or savory. Pumpkin can be a dessert or a delicious hearty meal. Not to mention all the amazing health benefits this wonderful squash provides. Pumpkin is packed with Vitamin A which is a key vitamin for our vision, and for our cell growth. So keep on indulging in all things pumpkin, its a good thing for your body, and a fun way to create yummy memories in the fall.
Chili is a staple food for us in the fall. Its so easy to whip up on a weekend, and enjoy while watching football games. Its great for all those group gatherings that happen this time of year. Everyone loves to warm up with a giant bowl of chili. Even if I’m not cooking for a crowd I always make a large batch of chili. It is the perfect meal for rollover meals throughout the week. I make chili the first night, and then we will have loaded baked potatoes topped with chili, nachos topped with chili, sausages topped with chili…you get the idea.
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 T olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T paprika
- 1 t sage
- 2 t brown sugar
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t cayenne powder
- 1 can 15oz drained and rinsed pinto beans
- 1 can 15oz drained and rinsed red kidney beans
- 1 can 15 oz drained and rinsed garbanzo beans
- 1 can 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1 can 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 12oz bottle of pumpkin beer
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
Optional topping choices
- sour cream
- green onions
- hot sauce
- In a large pot cook ground beef seasoned with salt and pepper on medium heat until browned. Remove from pot and drain any excess grease.
- In pot add olive oil, onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Saute for a few minutes. Then add chili powder, cumin, paprika, sage, brown sugar, garlic powder, and cayenne. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add beer to pot, and scrape off all that yummy goodness from the bottom of the pot. Add meat back to pot, and add all beans, pumpkin puree, tomatoes, and broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lower heat to simmer. Let the pot simmer for at least 1 hour, with the lid slightly ajar, and stirring occasionally.
- Top with desired toppings. Enjoy!