Homemade pudding is one of my favorite childhood desserts. My mom always made the best pudding, and the best homemade whipped cream. Today my children seem to agree, because this is a frequently requested dessert.
- 2 1/4 cups coconut milk or regular milk
- 4 T cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (split)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Powdered sugar to taste
- Fresh blueberries
- Mix 1/4 cup milk with cornstarch in small bowl, set aside for later.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, combine 2 cups milk, sugar, salt, and egg yolks. Whisk constantly.
- Once mixture begins to steam slowly whisk in cornstarch mixture. Continue to whisk until pudding is thick, and creamy. About 2 minutes of constant whisking.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, cinnamon, and 1/4 cup of coconut.
- Pour into dish and let cool in fridge covered with Saran Wrap for at least two hours.
- Prepare whipped cream by whisking heavy cream in mixer on a level 4. Once soft peaks start to form add powdered sugar 1 T at a time until you reach your desired sweetness. Continue to whisk until thick and creamy on level 6, and then store in fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Preheat oven to 350•. Layer 1/4 cup coconut on baking sheet. Toast coconut, tossing every minute. This takes maybe a total of 3 minutes. Keep a close eye on it. Coconut burns very quickly, and we don’t want that, we want toasted. Set in dish to cool until ready for use.
- To assemble parfaits start with a layer of pudding, then blueberries, then whipped cream. Continue to the top, and finish with a topping of blueberries and toasted coconut.
Now dig in and enjoy!